Anxiety creates an obstacle to patient's behaviour change
Sometimes you are working with a patient and the level of their anxiety really starts to get in the way of their recovery process.
Perhaps they are too anxious to stand due to a fear of falling. Or maybe they struggle to leave the house due to fear.
Anxiety can become such a problem for patients that it can really hinder the work you want to do with them. Anxiety becomes the obstacle which hinders patient engagement and their recovery.
Working With Anxiety In Healthcare
Seeing anxiety in patients is very common. Anxiety itself is not a problem, but when anxiety is so high that the patient can't engage in the work you want to do with them, then that is a problem. You start to see that you are working on the patient's anxiety, rather than the work that you specialise in.
This CPD training equips you with various psychological tools to help you quickly work through the patient's anxiety so that you can move forward with your work. Equipping you with various psychological knowledge and new skills to offer more effective treatment and patient care.
Drawing on the latest research in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Neuroscience, Mindfulness, and other modalities, this workshop helps you understand how to break the cycle of anxiety.
What you will learn:
- Assessing anxiety and how much of a problem it is
- The many different types of anxiety disorders including, panic attacks, phobias, OCD, PTSD, & more...
- Understanding the psychological mechanisms of anxiety
- Understanding more clearly why patients struggle to engage due to anxiety
- Understanding stress and the difference between stress & anxiety
- Why reassurance doesn't work (at least in the long-term)
- How to engage patients in behaviour change
- When to refer elsewhere (and when not to)
- Practical evidence-based tools that you can quickly use in session, as part of your existing role
- Quick and effective ways to reduce anxiety in patients
- Previous case studies to show how these techniques can be used in real life patient scenarios
Delivered live via Zoom, this interactive CPD will help you work quickly with anxiety so that you can focus on the main work that you need to do with the patient. The added benefit of this training is that it will also increase your own resilience, as well as your patients'.
No previous knowledge required. This CPD training is suitable for all Health and Welfare Professionals, such as, Occupational Therapists, Nurses, Doctors, Physiotherapists, other AHPs, students, assistants, or anyone working in face-to-face contact with patients.
Complete with various resources for you to use immediately with patients.
3 hour CPD certificate
Date: October 20th 2021, 9am - 12pm
If you can't make this date you can still register below, and then email us direct for a recording. Then complete our quiz to claim your CPD certificate. Or register here for updates for our 2022 CPD training dates.
Delivered by Chris Finn, lead Trainer for Poole Mindfulness & Psychology
Chris is a Clinical Lecturer in Psychology and an accredited Senior Psychotherapist and Supervisor. Chris has worked in senior positions in the NHS and has worked with thousands of people with anxiety and other difficulties in his clinical career. He now specialises in helping other healthcare professionals enhance their existing skillset.